The Second Day of Christmas: St. John

The Stoning of St. Stephen. Fra Angelico

Readings for the Day  
The Feast of St. Stephen

 Jeremiah 26:1-9,12-15
Psalm 31
Acts 6:8-7:2a, 51c-60
Matthew 23:34-39

❄︎

Collect for the Day

We give you thanks, O Lord of glory, for the example of the first martyr Stephen, who looked up to heaven and prayed for his persecutors to your Son Jesus Christ, who stands at your right hand; where he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

❄︎

Sonnet for St. Stephen's Day

when it comes time for me to say goodbye
and take my leave from those I dearly love,
i pray that you would grant to my heart's eye
a reassuring glimpse of christ above,
standing by your throne with arms stretched wide
to speak your peace, to dry my falling tears,
reminding me of why he lived and died
and rose again to banish our worst fears.
or do you grant such favors to a few
whose faces shine like heaven's angels bright
whose spiritual wisdom keeps them true --
are these the only saints who see that light?
here in my weakness i would ask for grace
and that consoling vision of your face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Day

The Third Day of Christmas: St. John